In 2017, Ørsted and North Sea Port already signed a declaration of intent for a place of business at Vlissingen-Buitenhaven (outer port). In the meantime, Ørsted obtained the necessary permits. Wind farm Borssele 1&2 has a capacity of 752 MW and will be built 23 kilometres off the coast at Westkapelle.
Base for construction and maintenance of the wind farm
Claus B��jle Møller, director of wind farm Borssele 1&2: The signing of the agreement with North Sea Port and obtaining the permits for the maintenance base are two important milestones for Borssele 1&2. We look forward to coming to the port of Vlissingen. I am convinced that in Vlissingen-Buitenhaven we will be able to realize an excellent base for the management of the construction and maintenance of our wind farm.
Jasper Vis, Ørsteds director for the Netherlands: In Vlissingen, North Sea Port has excellent infrastructure and a lot of experience concerning wind at sea. Wind at sea offers Zeeland a lot of economic opportunities. Ørsted is happy to be part of this and we look forward to the cooperation with local and regional partners.
North Sea Port is already looking forward to the arrival of the base for the construction and maintenance of the wind turbine farm Borssele 1&2. With this investment, Ørsted will provide extra jobs in the offshore sector. This will generate a lot of added value, says Jan Lagasse, CEO at North Sea Port.
Key facts of maintenance location
- Total floor surface of the building: 2,100 m².
- Start of construction: planned in the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Number of workers: 50-100 when the wind farm will be operational.
- Number of crew transport ships: maximum 4.
- Activities: coordination of wind farm construction; management, coordination and planning of maintenance works at sea; preparation of activities at sea; preparation and loading of crew transport ships; small mechanical works; departure of technical staff to sea; storage logistics.
- Sustainability: the building generates more electricity than it consumes and supplies sustainable energy to the electricity grid.